Sitecore by default ships with two main search provider which is Lucene or SOLR.
I will not delve too much on which one you should use as that’s been covered in https://doc.sitecore.net/sitecore_experience_platform/setting_up__maintaining/search_and_indexing/indexing/using_solr_or_lucene
I’d like to highlight some of the points mentioned in the article, where using SOLR is mandatory:
- You have a dedicated processing server
- You have multiple CM servers
The main thing here is that if sitecore_analytics_index exist in multiple servers then you would need to use SOLR. But since all the indexes are now in a centralized server, what’s the index update strategies for SOLR would be?
Typically in this setup you would set
- CM as the indexing server
- will perform index rebuild
- Set the index update strategies as you fit (except manual)
- CD only reads from index
- Does not perform index rebuild
- Set the index update strategies to manual
If you have multiple CM server then you can set one of the CM as the one that perform index rebuild while the other one only reads from the index.